Not all writing takes place on paper

Not all writing takes place on paper
write to be remembered

Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Paranormal is dead, and New Adult is about to thrieve!

Yes, that is what agents and editors are telling me. Paranormal has drown the market to the point that no one wants any more...for now.

So what do I do with my paranormal/supernatural thriller story? I either shelf it for awhile until the market dries out again or I change it. After three years of never-ending work I'm not ready to shelf it. I am now reworking my ending and making it a full Psychological Thriller...a few more months of work, but it'll be sellable.

Another new term that I am learning about and is a HUGE controversy is New Adult (main characters that are between the ages of 18-25 and is a second coming of age story.)

Our culture encourages greater time spent in college, prolonged dating periods, etc there is a gap between young adult and adults that have a career, house, spouse, and kids.

One agent said that we don't need to target that market because those age of people don't buy books. They may not buy books but I know I like reading about that age the most. Between 18-25 is when most people make their important decisions: what career they will have, who they marry, etc. and is many ways is the most interesting time period.

I also feel that way too often we force books into the YA genre when they really belong in a little older genre. Many times when I am reading a YA book the voice is older than 16 or 17 yrs old, and the relationships as well as the mentalities are more mature than high school kids. Why don't we just make a  new genre that fits??

Anyone else agree with me??  Any Thoughts on this subjects?

3 comments:

  1. I have a hard time defining YA. I don't think it is age related as we have a social phenomenon that is that gap you talked about. not quite children but not making the transition to adulthood. And I would contend that the majority of those who haven't transition by 25 won't make a full transition, at least not like was seen 50 years ago. In my mind The twilight series is solidly YA while The host is Adult fiction. I also disagree with saying that between 18-25 is when people make their important decisions. I think they do make some important decisions, but whether those are as lasting as they were in the past is debatable (look at divorce rates, number of career changes, time to choose a major and graduate from college). Just my two bits, that don' actually amount to anything useful =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, in some regards the term adult doesn't mean the same thing it did 50 yrs. ago and because of that it seems fitting that we should create a new genre to incorporate these new adults into fiction.
    It's funny you mention that 18-25 isn't when people make lasting important decisions anymore because when I was re-reading it I thought the same thing. However, it is when many make those decisions for the first time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In some ways, it's hard to say if creating another genre really makes that big of a difference. I like to think that it makes it easier for readers to really find what they're looking for, but a good book is a good book and spreads by word of mouth, irregardless of its genre. Even if it's supposedly 'paranormal' and everyone is sick of that genre. The goal is to write a new refreshing story in a way it's never been written before and publishers will find a place to put it on the shelf, especially if they know it will sell. Also, a good story can transcend age groups--just look at any YA novel that has snagged attention of adults because it spoke of a theme or concept that was relate-able.

    ReplyDelete